Monday, June 9, 2014

Duplicitous shill?

Today that label was applied to Chris Matthews, in a The Huffington Post post by Joseph A. Palermo entitled Smearing Private Bergdahl: the Republican Right Descends to a New Low. Over the weekend I also read in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette a column by Tony Norman entitled Bergdahl case unleashes all the hypocrites. Since I agree somewhat with both, but not entirely with either of those analyses, here is my impression. Bergdahl was a first-termer with a healthy sense of compassion for and interest in the people of Afghanistan, along with an unhealthy lack of fear (and perhaps disrespect for orders). The enemy took advantage of his curiosity to capture him. Eventually we will hear from Bergdahl himself. But at this point I don't know why anyone wants to read into it any more than that. Although I've often been disappointed with Obama's performance, I'm proud of the President's decision to make and his execution of the exchange. I am as proud of President Obama, as I am ashamed of Chris Matthews' (not to mention my barber's) smearing of a captured, now released, soldier.

No comments:

Post a Comment